Over the past month, I have been creating my entry for the #MakeItSuperHot competition, Super Hot Dog. The competition is to create a Super Hot inspired game, art piece, or mod. With the competition over, I have successfully managed to create a Super Hot inspired game, called Super Hot Dog. You play as a Hot Dog, being hunted by actual dogs. Using your trusty Ketchup and Mustard guns, you must fight them in a world where time only moves as you do.
I am overall very happy with my entry. It would be icing on the cake if I could also manage to place. Even if I don’t, I still learned a ton from this competition and had tons of fun (and hun). Some things I did worked well, and others didn’t. Here is the postmortem for my game, Super Hot Dog.
All of my past games in one way or another had bad code. Whether it was bad organization, repeated code, or way too many if statements, my coding practices haven’t been great. However, for Super Hot Dog, I am pretty proud of my code. I focused on using functions, so I didn’t repeat the same lines of code over again. I also started using parameters, something I really haven’t explored before. They turned out to work really well, and I plan on using them more in the future. Because I have worked with code more and have a better understanding of it, I’m learning how to write better and more optimized code using better practices.
There are some things about the level design that aren’t that great, but overall I’m very happy with how it turned out. I made 9 levels in total, with 3 serving as tutorials. When I was creating each level, I was trying to make each one feel different, whether that be a different layout of different clusters of enemies. I didn’t go overboard making extremely long and complicated levels, but the ones that I did do I am happy with. There are ones that are like mazes, with dogs around each corner. There are others where the layout is quite simple, but there are dogs everywhere. It overall feels very fun and different. I also spent a bit testing each level, to make sure it had a good feel and was challenging enough. Sure that may be hard to test as the developer with the scene view open, but I think it worked.
I barely planned this game, and that hurt me a little bit. I had a solid idea in my head, but I never actually put pencil to paper and visualized my game beforehand. I figured since this was a 40 day game jam, I didn’t need to spend time planning. I was wrong. The art direction and overall vibe faulted because of this. I was just making stuff on the spot, so in the end, the game doesn’t seem to mesh very well together. It’s not that bad, but I know now that even for the smallest of games, planning is key.
My tutorials for this game were very lackluster. I only put the controls in the description and dedicated 3 levels to tutorials. I think 3 levels are enough, but I just have the player spawn with no directions or guidance. One good thing I did was demonstrate each guns mechanic by disabling each one for each tutorial level, but I never actually told the player to do anything. Someone who has played Super Hot before or any other FPS could probably figure it out easily, but some players unknown to the genre may get frustrated. When making your game, always assume your player knows nothing. That way, you make sure everyone knows exactly how to play.
That’s it! Thanks for reading my Post Mortum for Super Hot Dog.
If you would like to check out the game, Click Here!
If you’d like to check out the competition for other great Super Hot-like games, Click Here!