“Teddy Bears vs. Bed Bugs” Dev Blog #5: Polishing and More

Teddy Bears vs. Bed Bugs

Welcome to the 5th Dev Blog for Teddy Bears vs. Bed Bugs! I am hoping that this will be the last one before release, so be on the lookout for an announcement on twitter and on here.

A big part of what I did these past couple of weeks was the UI, from the menus to the gameplay buttons. I really have never been that good with doing UI stuff, but I have been spending a lot more time on it for this game, and feel like I am improving. My past games you can tell that they are made in Unity by the standard UI, but now I don’t think you can tell as much. It feels a little more custom and unique, which is what I am going for. This isn’t final but the design is currently how I like it.

UI

One of the most time consuming and tedious tasks I have done for this game was this past week when I was importing/setting the models. The part that made this tedious was that I had to recreate the materials for each tower model for the highlight effect. I probably could have spent less time doing something simpler, but I like the outcome of this a lot better. I also had to adjust the placement heights of the models because they are all different sizes. This picture doesn’t really do it justice, but in the final game I think this will end up being pretty cool.

Highlights

I also spent a lot of time doing the scene management, like the Main Menu and the Level Selection. I have some working designs, but I can’t show you guys everything :). It’s starting to feel crisp and polished, which is awesome. I have some smooth transitions in the works, something I’ve wanted to do in my previous games but never ended up doing.

That’s it! We’re almost there, and I can’t wait. I have the animations, the sound, and the music left to do, which are probably three of my weakest areas. That being said, the last 10% of development is 90% of the work apparently. O boy.